Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Training, training, training

Hi all,
Andy and I have been biking nearly every day now in preparation for Sierra to the Sea. We both rode in the Sierra Century on Saturday. Andy did the 100 miles with 6000 ft of climbing while I did the almost metric (58 miles) with a disappointing little over 2000 ft of climbing. The hill we had to do was Mt. Vernon and it was a challenge! I rode with Jacqui and she said at one point she had to unclip or fall over. They advertised it as being 3500 ft of climbing but my altimeter certainly did not register that. Andy said he felt sore but that he felt good also. I didn' t ride Monday and I didn't get on the treadmill either. Me bad. Tuesday I rode with Jacqui and Laura on the Joe Rogers, Indian Hill loop which I now have memorized. We need to do a different route next time. Today I rode just under 30 miles with 1966 ft of climbing. I did the English Colony Road to Taylor and then turned around and headed home. It was a good ride. Because the weather is kind of iffy these days it is hard to decide what to wear. It is around a high of 75 and the sun is in and out of clouds constantly. There are a lot of clouds. I wore arm warmers and left at 10:40 today and that was perfect. I probably could have taken off the arm warmers. Andy and I will probably ride our usual Thursday route tomorrow. Friday I will ride with Laura and Cynthia on the bike trail. Saturday Andy and I are going to try again to do the route we didn't do a few weekends ago. The route is to ride from home to Beal's and then ride on the bike trail to Sacramento and back and then ride home. That is 90 miles. I am psyched to do it this time even if it looks windy when we wake up. The only other thing of interest is that we did a test run last night of taking my bike apart and boxing it in preparation for Sierra to the Sea. It went pretty well. Andy got two divets in his fingers which required band aids but other than that we have it figured out. So this weekend we will try to put the tent up again and then sleep in it. Won't Maggie be confused when she has to sleep outside in the tent! I'll probably write next after we finish our 90 mile odyssey.
Be good.
Clyde

No comments: