Monday, June 15, 2009

Almost there

Hi all,
Sierra to the Sea is getting close. We head to the Bay Area on Friday after dropping Maggie off at the kennel and packing the car. We did the 90 miler ride we were planning to do on Saturday. We rode from home to Beal's Point, went on the bike trail to Discovery Park in Sacramento and then headed back. Technically it was 88.68 miles but why quibble about 2 less miles. It went OK .I felt pretty strong actually. I thought the hills on Roseville Parkway would kill me on the way home but I was pretty strong. One thing I discovered is that the tongue in my right bike shoe rubs and presses on my foot . A little bump developed there. I think it has something to do with the way I sometimes rotate my foot inward when pushing hard. Anyway I think I found a solution that I will use on The Sierra to the Sea Tour. I will use one of those open pads they have for bunions. I have a bunch of them leftover from when I had a problem with my toes when running a lot way back when. I did a test ride with it on on Sunday and it seemed to work. We did a test run of using the tent on Saturday night but Andy ended up being the only one who slept out in the tent. We tried to get Maggie to sleep with us out there and had her pillow and everything but she just wasn't in to it. She hung outside the tent and wouldn't come in except initially to lick my face all over the place when we were in our sleeping bags. Since she was a no go I slept inside on the bed as usual with Maggie and Andy slept outside in the tent. Today is our first wedding anniversary (civil wedding), so we have been married nine years and have been together since 1995. It seems like just yesterday. We don't have anything special planned but I bought some pulled pork for dinner and we will have that with noodles and salad. Our second wedding anniversary (Catholic wedding) is June 23 so we will celebrate that one in Calistoga. I was supposed to run today but I guess I am still resting since Saturday's ride although I feel totally recovered. I'll probably write once before I leave and then at this moment I have intentions to write in a journal but we'll see what happens. Have a good week.
Clyde

No comments: